Cloud based AI eBook reader app skyrockets their sales and subscriptions by 200%!
Smart and Seamless eBook Reader
A client was keen on making an AI-based eBook reader application through which a publisher uploads the books either in pdf or epub format and only the subscribed readers can access them through this application without affecting the revenue. The books should be in the encrypted format and the subscribed user should be able to download them in native ‘xyz’ file format. When the users want to read a book again, they must upload these ‘xyz’ files into the system and access the book. With the help of AI technology, the application should be able to read out the text for the user and with a single tap, should be able to provide the meaning of the difficult words on the pages. The user should also be able to add assorted color annotations, add notes on the pages, and bookmark them for a later read.
While building the application, the company did have its own set of challenges that were creating minor to major inconveniences. The list goes like:
- Converting a book in pdf/epub file format into HTML.
- Implementing the same structure for two different file formats - pdf and ePub.
- Providing a swipe option as the users traverse through the pages, bookmark facility, and draggable sticky notes that can be used as per the user requirements.
- Saving the file into ‘xyz’ format, making it non-readable by other applications, and loading the same data into the system.
- Incorporating AI Technology for text and audio search, in-built word dictionary, and even read out the text for the readers.
- Mobile responsiveness with all the web functionalities intact and dynamic pages for easy compatibility on all devices.
- Minimizing the latency time and load efforts when there is a bigger file upload that may take time.
Web-based application development
- Backend – Laravel, advanced PHP libraries such as ghost script, ImageMagick.
- Frontend - jQuery UI, PDFJS, JSPDF, Hammer JS, Backbone JS
- Database - MySQL
- Design - Bootstrap
- AI - Python with PyTorch and gTTS libraries